Sunday, January 17, 2010

It can be done...

For as much as I love my sweet, handsome and adorable little boy, there is a down side to him at times. I have such a hard time cooking a meal that he will eat at home. No matter how hard I try I can not win sometimes.

As an example he LOVES drumsticks and chicken strips, however if I tend to make them forget it, I am lucky I actually get him to chow down one, which if he normally eats chicken on the bone he chows down so much that I get grossed out and ask him to stop because he is just sucking the marrow from the bone at that point (yes I know totally gross and way too much information).

Come this past week, I am really trying to cut a lot of sodium out of my diet and work on trying to eat more at home to prepare for this new diet I want to try out once I get some time to fully read the book, I made two meals that H actually liked.

First was a play on Top Ramen (yes, it is a staple at my house and please do not judge me) where I cut out some of the seasoning in the packs so it was lower in sodium. I then cooked up steaks and cut them into thin little slices and sauteed onions and mushrooms (yes, my crazy picky, young son LOVES mushrooms). He loved it! He even went back for seconds! That is unheard of when it comes to my meals at home.

The second meal was cooked tonight, it was a play off of a knock off recipe for my favorite soup in the world from Olive Garden. I even thought that the kale in it would make him not want to eat it but a rule in my house is you have to try it once before you can hate it, and you still need to try it in the future. He ate it, no second bowl but he did say he would eat it again if I made it, seriously I will take progress where I can get it.

2 comments:

Norah said...

Good for you! And please share the soup recipe! No judging from me as we have top ramen soup for night the kids won't eat what I cook.

mama_g said...

Remind me this weekend and I can send you the recipe. H wants to add in carrots next time, if it makes him like it more I will do it.