Thursday, July 30, 2009

My celebrity quote...

I must wear the movie star sunglasses for a reason. I am very proud of myself for doing a 5k by myself, no baby sister there to hold my hand. I think I could have pushed myself more but I have more to come.

While getting ready to start the race I had a reporter come up and ask me why I was there. I must have impressed him with my story because he published it. I am not sure if I know how to do this correctly so incase the link below doesn't work I made sure to copy the text so you can read it. I wish I had a picture of me doing the race but that was not in the stars. I was most excited about coming around the corner and seeing H standing at the finish line. He proceeded to run up to me while I was running wanting to run in with me. I heard my friend Julie (more a family friend than just my personal friend) calling to him because he was going to miss his race, I had to run even faster to get him to his on time. Thanks Jules for watching the boy while I did my race, I am so proud of you mother for doing the race too.

While starting the kids race Mason said he would buy a pizza for any kid who can beat Kevin in. Well there was one boy who did (sooooo not my son). Then Kevin came in, there were many kids that made their way in, many way younger kids too. Finally H made his way in, but I guess at one point in time Kevin went back out. H thought he was beating him so he raced in as fast as he could, proud mommy cheering him on. All he could talk about over the weekend was how he beat Kevin in and he wants his pizza. I told my sister this and she says even Kevin says he owes him one.

First, Mason was the one that promised the pizza not Kevin, so no pizza from Kevin. Second, Kevin made it in way before the boy so there is no need for him to be buying the boy a pizza. But I think it is very nice that he feels bad and wants to buy him one because Kevin is a good kid. Although not all of her employees deserve the praise they get from my sister at times, I see many of them have good hearts and really they win me over because they really love H.

Shooting from the hip:Good job, Crystal
by Scott Schulte
Jul 28, 2009

I am not a morning person. Especially on holidays. I was thrilled when my boys got older and no longer wanted to get up at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning to see what Santa Claus brought. Now, sleeping is OK on the holidays.

This is why even when I competed as a runner I searched for twilight races (races that took place at the end of the day) as compared to those awful early morning runs. It’s a major part of the reason I now choose to run in the heat of the day...because I’m awake.

With this in mind I sought out people at Friday’s Handcart Days road race to ask what would make them get out of bed on a day off to go race. I had lots of answers like those people who are early risers or those preparing for a big race in the near future — but the person who stands out the most was a very nice woman named Crystal.

The Bountiful resident explained, “My 8-year-old son went to spend some time with his father who lives in Kentucky, and I decided I wanted to train for something.”

According to Crystal, running gave her something to do when her son was away. Crystal said, “I have to admit, running was not my first choice, but my sister, Mary pushes me, and that helps.”

I lived out of state for the first six years after my divorce and away from my sons, and I hated it. Having things to do like running or lifting weights filled, even if just a little bit, the void left by my kids living so far away. Since I understood this, I was real impressed with my new friend, Crystal, and her decision to run rather than pout while her son was out of state.

Crystal admitted to me that she anticipated being the last runner to finish the race, but that was of very little interest to me. I was and remain so impressed with Crystal for two reasons. First, as I said, Crystal took a pro-active approach to a time that could have otherwise been very sad. Second, Crystal chose to be a runner. She could have chosen a lot of things to do, but Crystal chose to get out and push herself beyond her limits to reach personal goals.

The race went off, and I became busy interviewing people and looking forward to getting home and back to bed.

Later I wondered what had happened to Crystal.

It didn’t matter where she finished the race. She’d won no matter what.

Good job, Crystal!

My story link, and no I am not smart enough to figure out how to link more than just the My.

Don't you know who I am?

No comments: