Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July...

Well almost, but I may forget to get on and blog considering all the festivities. I think I like when H gets to go with his dad at the beginning of summer, then they can celebrate the 4th with him and when he returns he gets to celebrate the 24th with me. Hopefully that is something we can work out but who knows.

I remember driving in the car with the boy and he brought me to tears with a conversation. On of my co-workers returned home from Iraq a few months ago but I did share with her the boys thoughts, which brought tears to both of our eyes because I told her even though it was hard for her I am thankful for all the soldiers protecting our country. The conversation with the boy consisted of him telling me how happy he was for our "army" guys (I am sure he meant it for all forces, he is eight). He kind of let it go at that, I was curious what made him say this so I asked why they make him happy. He then said because they can die while trying to protect our family from the bad guys, he turned to me and asked if that is what the cops do too. Just knowing that he knows that there is a price for things and it shows the good heart that he has (because honestly I wonder if I taint him at times) makes me so proud.

The boy is the most patriotic little man I know, he loved learning about all that stuff this year in school. I had to go to D.C. this past year on a business trip, he was really jealous. It is a plan of ours to make the trip back with him so he can see it all. Of all the places in the world he still asks when we get to go (there and Hawaii, but that one will be a while). I myself don't remember being so gung ho like he is about politics growing up.

This year he was so excited to go voting with me. He really loves Obama, and the night of the election he was cheering when Obama won a state. But it was still really close when it was bedtime, he woke me up in the middle of the night asking who won. I really didn't know because I went to bed before the results were in and I went about just watching other programming anyway. We found out and he was so excited. Who knows he may be a politician when he grows up. I just hope that passion for this stuff stays with him as he grows up.

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile.

No comments: