Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Astrocamp...

H signed up for Young Astronauts at his school this year, he has to set a good example and work really hard in school in order to stay in this program. Today was one of the field trips and we went to Astrocamp. It was great fun, of course the picture on the left shows H on the bus ride up. I thought there was going to be a large number of kids heading up but there were only 15 kids on this trip. I took pity on one little girl that I know doesn't have a whole lot of friends and decided to sit next to her. Well then I think H got a little bored and decided to lay down, caught a picture.


We were in the electricity room first and I didn't get pictures in there because the teacher wanted the adults to be active participants so the remainder of the field trip pictures are in the machine room.

In the electricty room though it was really a whole lot of fun. We got "shocked" by running a current through our circle. H got a little "hurt" and at the end was crying, I know he was fine but I am not sure why he started crying but by the time of the last experiment he was a willing participant again. Given that he he was a little hurt and crying it made me feel like I needed to step up and show him that the remainder of the experiments were not going to hurt him.


The picture above though had them doing a pulley penny test, they had to determine how many pennies they had to put in the cup to make it lift off the ground. Of course my genius son got his right, it only took him 10 pennies. The one to the left show a complex machine (I tried to upload a video but I guess I don't know how to make them work from my blackberry), they had to guess which the ball would go, again my genius son cracked the code and was able to guess right on everyone so the assistant actually cheated on his turn to make him finally lose one. It was loads of fun still.

We had a special visit from the "Professor", really the teacher just dressed up and showed them a few more fun tricks and fun things. He was a hit with the kids. They all did such a great job that we were asked if we wanted to have our class name on Mars, when they send up the next rover machine it will have the class name on there with them, they are so happy they will be on Mars.


On Saturday we were going to eat at Tuscanos, but there were too many people and we had a movie to catch but we returned today for food. H LOVED the resturant. He was absolutely dumbfounded that not only did it have a salad bar but the meat dish was brought around, he totally had all the guys coming over to deliver him food, they loved him. He wishes we could eat there everyday, infact he gave it the Hunter Two Thumbs Up Award.

When asked what his favorite part of today was I am proud to say he said it was that I was able to go with him today on his trip. I know I have worked a lot lately and I know that he leaves on Friday but he always makes me cry when he can make me feel so loved. I don't always get to do what I know is important to him and he easily bows out knowing that I have to work, but I don't give him enough credit for being such a good kid. He has more love in his heart than anyone I know and I am absolutely blessed to have him be a part of me.

3 comments:

Norah said...

That sounds like so much fun! And thanks for making me cry. Your last paragraph was just beautiful. You are a great mom and I have loads of respect for you. I can't imagine having to work full time (and more) and having a child. You have my respect and I think your doing a wonderful job with Hunter. I hope my boys think of much as me as Hunter does of you.

mama_g said...

I blame the boy! Sorry I didn't see this until now, I should sign up for it to email me on comments. Trust me I am more jealous then you could possibly know that you get to stay home with your kids, they are great too!

Norah said...

Thanks! You know, seriously, staying home isn't all its cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong I love staying home with them but people tend to think your lazy or always available to do things for them. Course I guess if I sent the kids to school I could be do those things.