Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Devil's Slide... (nothing bad just another memory)


We would drive all the time to Pennsylvania and Ohio to visit our grandparents, New Mexico sometimes. Even though we would drive straight through (me usually topless in the very back with no seats and yes I was young enough to be topless still), our only stops were for gas, restroom and if we were lucky enough to eat at a restaurant it only meant that my dad was too tired and needed to sleep so we would get to go in and eat while he slept in the car.
I remember first learning about the Devil's Slide in Weber Canyon from my dad. He had decided to pull off and look at the slide from the viewing area (honestly I don't remember the other kids being there so this may have been just us but I think we all were there because I seem to recall my mom being there too). I googled this landmark and there is not much on it really but the story he told stuck with me because I remember trying to call him out on his bluff. He told me that the devil slides down on it every February 30th.
I remember thinking about it and then looking at him telling him that there were only 28 days in February. I don't think he realized that I was the smart one in the family *wink, wink, nod, nod* so then his reply back was, exactly, that's because he is the devil.

No comments: