Sunday, June 12, 2011

My half marathon experience...

My time for the half sucked big time but I didn't have much training to go behind it so I must say it was a bigger accomplishment just to finish. Overall I would like to do it again with some real training behind me.







This wonderful journey started the day before, we rode up on the train to get our packets (we being Mary, H and I), while we were at the expo I was convinced if H had this orange visor that he would run better. I must say he wore it for 2 days but I bet he couldn't tell you where this is now. Money well spent not really but money well worth it to make the boy be happy for two days, I must say yes. While we were at the expo he got to try his hand a Kinect dodgeball.


I chose my first one to be the Ogden Half Marathon because my sister always talks about how beautiful the course is and it is basically down hill so worth the pain and suffering that follows the race. The two above pictures are from the start line. I signed up for this race thinking Mary was going to sign up for it as well. She did, just not the race I thought she would do, she chose the Marathon. Her, Megan and Mike were all doing the full. So it kind of made me loose determination to train because I was by myself. I did fairly good but really I was no where close to where I needed to be. Once it warmed up some too it H was a great joy and rode on his bike on my runs carrying water for us to drink. I love that little man at times, he was being very helpful for this race but it came a little too late so next time I get to be better at it.

There were some great views, two were taken before the camera got too sweaty. I don't remember what mile I go to with my run (ok really my run is more of a very light jog but it is what I do) but I got through I want to say about half way (the stop where Scott was at, maybe my sister can help) and I was feeling really good. I was about a mile after that I started feeling the pain. I am glad I decided to get a back brace to wear because I know I would not have been able to complete with out it.



The other two pictures were taken after the sweat took over the lens (I know gross but it's my blog). The running joke from Mike was he was going to use all the toilets in the race, sort of like a marking of territory. Jokes on me because I did practically use everyone. I thought I could miss one and you know what I regretted missing it. I missed using the one at the 3k mark and I regretted that one the most because my last 3 miles were the worst. I was no longer running, I was walking at best and I guess I looked terrible because even the spectators were coming up to me asking me if I was fine.

I had my knee hurting, my back was killing me, my muscles ached and I had feet problems (which later I find out were blisters). I got worried my son and mom were not going to make it in time along the course, come the 3 mile mark I was sure they would. H kept texting me but finally I came up to the finish line and got worried I had missed him. Finally he sent a text of I see you, I looked ahead and saw him. He was so excited to cross the finish line (rule breaker me) they allowed him to cross the line with me he was so happy and thrilled for me. Even though my eyes teared up along the way with all the encouragement from everyone along the way, that moment got to me the most having him be so proud.

Overall it was a decent experience and would like to try it again. I decided I preferred doing it alone because I hate thinking others are being held up by me so I didn't' mind doing it alone. I appreciate that my mom was able to bring the boy up so he could see me finish. I am still mad that my sister didn't try to contact me until AFTER I crossed the finish line to let me know she didn't make it, but it was all good and I plan to do it again.

1 comment:

Shantelle said...

Wow! That is awesome!! You are an inspiration!! I think I would want to do it alone too. I also hate thinking that I am holding others behind. You Rock!