Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The not so hypochondriac son...

Look who is laughing now my baby sis, I would say the past few days have not been so in the mind. At her request I am blogging about this because she saved me from wanting to yell at the boy, it will be explained down below why that was the case. Just to forewarn you though I will be explaining things, not in great detail but some of them funny at time so if any of that stuff sickens you please do not read on and just know the boy is sick and I am hoping he gets better before the next two weeks so he can go see his dad. And yes it will be long because I am long winded.

Alright this cough has been around since before Mother's day. I did finally get in to the doctor and he had given me those prescriptions, suppressant and an antibiotic. Well come to find out the boy is allergic to the suppressant. His eyes puff up when he takes it so we have been going sans suppressant, even the over the counter kind because I ran out of it. Don't let my dad know I really didn't read the side effects I just said I did, usually I do but I didn't feel the need because he has never had a reaction really to any medicine. I was hoping to let the cough run it course and he could just cough it up. Well that has not been the case, it actually has worsened over the past few days where it sounds as though he is choking when he is coughing. He even coughs in his sleep, not to the point that he wakes up but I know it is not a restful sleep.

On Monday he got really worn out with playing with the family at the park, we came home and went straight to bed. Well come Tuesday morning I tell the boy to suck it up because I didn't think he was that sick and he should go to school. That is mainly because it was month end at work and I needed to be there because unlike Boss Lady I feel like I need to be there and really knowing her she would find some way to get out of it because that is what she has done the last few month ends. I can just say karma got me though and it is funny so keep reading.

When we got home Tuesday he had one of his headaches. I got out my dad's glucose meter he is lending me because I think the boy may be hypoglycemic all stemming from the one time he had a headache and I didn't have water but we had a Sprite, well the headache went away without any throwing up. So now I want to monitor him and have some other news to go back to the doctor with. It might be migraines still because that runs in my family (why is it I can't blame any of this stuff on his dad's side, oh that is right his dad was adopted so we have no history so I find a link only to my terrible genes). Well I am forcing him to eat even though he is being reluctant. To my surprise while talking to his dad on the phone he gets to the point that he has to throw up. Long story short because I am not using this to vent about his dad but just have to add this in, his dad's b-day was Tuesday and I guess he was upset that H would not get to talk to him on his birthday, I guess he didn't hear him say that he was going to throw up. I got on the phone and explained to him what was going on and had H call him back at his dad's request after he thrown up.

This boy has thrown up a lot in his lifetime, it is only second in line to bloody noses. He throws up he just moves on with life like it never really happened. Me, I am out of commission but maybe because I don't throw up as often. Anyway, when I took the puke bucket to the toilet while pouring it in some of the lovely concoction flew up and got me in the eye. Like I said karma came back and got me.

Well today we stayed home and the only thing he can keep down without causing a stomach are cheese quesadillas and good old saltine crackers. I have been making him drink from a "sick bottle", just a regular bottle of water that we can throw out once he is done being sick. I was too tired to cook so we went and grabbed food, while eating he just picked at it so we decided we would leave. We went to get the antibiotics because I am hoping the cough will clear up some with that but not sure if it will just upset his stomach even more like most antibiotic. While there I picked up some more suppressant too. We get home all honky dory ready to give him the pill he told the doctor he could take. I told him in the doctor's office, he is my witness, you have never taken a pill you take those fast melt ones but those are not pills. He says he can do it, the doctor assures me I can cut it up and mush it if needed.

I show H the pill, he then proceeds to ask me does he just chew it or will it melt? Um, I think I already had this discussion with you, it does neither, you must swallow it. I walk him through the steps of putting the pill as far back on your tongue as you can and then you swallow it while you are drinking. Easy enough I know but I also know there is a gag reflex and it is hard, my sister Mary didn't take a regular pill until she was in her 20's. Taking baby tylenol for cramps (you asked that I share this on the blog so I am now embarrassing you), but I know it was hard for her to take it. And yet again in my genes so who knows. He drinks a little and tells me that it didn't go down. I tell him don't think about it as swallowing the pill just think about drinking the gatorade.

Well I finally just have him spit it out in the cup which then I proceed to cut up and throw back in the cup with more gatorade letting it dissolve. I decided that I will give it to him like the claritin I use to give him, the only medicine he loathes, that I will essentially pour it down his throat and he can just take a drink afterwards. Well we are both getting frustrated and I know I am getting to the point of almost yelling and he is just crying because now he is scared he says. I am trying to calm him down and we do the plan. He takes a small drink of gatorade and then hands it to me running around the house. I am thinking he is over reacting to the taste. Come to find out he is looking for the puke bucket and throws up the everything we just ate and the pill we just finally got down his throat. He also then holds up one finger and tells me he does not think he is going to school again tomorrow.

I have really had it at this point more because of the fact that he didn't say he was feeling like he was going to throw up and I just gave him one of the pills so I called my sister who talked me down because I didn't want to yell at him, he is sick but I am just so angry that I just wasted getting this pill down his throat. After that I go back out get another pill and cut it up and start having it dissolve. I go out and talk to him and explain we are going to try again. He says I guess there are only two choices in me getting better, puffed up eyes or throwing up. I just roll my eyes and I laugh at him. I tell him this pill will help, we just got to get it in and get it to stay down. He grabs the PB and says he needs it just in case. I tell him if he thinks he is going to throw up then he probably will and I explain that the doctor would not have given him the medicine if it really was not going to make him feel better. He nods his head and tells me I am right.

New plan, much like the old but with a little modification. I tell him I will pour it down, he grabs the water and then after to get any taste out takes a bite of string cheese. I then point at the PB on the couch and tell him it is there if he needs it but I think he can do it. He then tells me while acting out in slow motion him taking the drink and running after the PB. I laugh at him and say I will grab the PB while you are drinking and all you have to worry about it eating a bite of the string cheese. If he did throw up again the pills would have been put on hold.

We finally did it and no throw up yet. I gave him his suppressant and rubbed his chest with vapor rub (a childhood favorite). He had some trouble getting to sleep because he feel asleep for a little while driving to get the medicine but he is asleep now and not one cough since he fell asleep. Maybe, just maybe there may be an end in sight.

Good night moon.

No comments: